Friday, April 13, 2012

I have amazing friends!

I couldn't leave for Boston without thanking two very important people who have made this trip possible.....

About a month or so ago, I started looking for flights from Austin to Boston. After searching for a bit on JetBlue and Kayak, I was soon realizing this trip may not actually happen. Since going back to school, funds have been tight and I haven't been making what I once used to when I lived in nyc. I didn't want to completely rule out the trip, so I waited another week and checked back once again. This was definitely one of those times where procrastination does not pay off....the flights had climbed even higher! It quickly became apparent that I just didn't have enough time to save and pay for a flight to Boston. The trip was out of the picture and the race wasn't going to happen....

But then, I received an email a day later:

"Kara and I had lunch together last Friday and I mentioned the Boston marathon. She said you might not run it due to the cost of everything. We would like to help and buy you the plane ticket :) If you're Ok with staying in a hostel, or something of that nature, we really want to do this for you. We hate to think of you not running after all of your hard work. Let us know what you think. And please, please consider if you're ok with the rooming accommodations...this is what friends are for! We love you :) " 

I was literally almost moved to tears. I thought to myself, wow, I have amazing friends! I am one lucky girl! 
Always there for support!

Kara Grenier and Virginia Whetstone have been with me on this journey to qualify for Boston from the very beginning. We met through Team in Training and became inseparable running buddies! We would meet at 5:30am during the week and run loops in Prospect park, run bridges, attend Jazzy's bootcamps or do hill repeats all before work. We've done countless NYRR races, waking up and trekking to central park while most were still in bed or just getting home from the bars. We've endured freezing runs, exhaustingly hot runs, and even runs in pouring rain. (Remember those 1/2mile repeats in that torrential downpour when NO OTHER people were crazy enough to be out there, ladies?!)  Needless to say, we've logged many miles together and have gotten to share some pretty intimate running experiences with each other.  (Thanks again for getting me through the last 6 miles of the nyc marathon, V! Couldn't have finished without you!)
Celebrating after the marine corps marathon.
Anyway, I just wanted to thank you both for being my biggest cheerleaders and believing in me! You both have really made my year by doing this for me and I hope to one day repay you. I wouldn't be heading to Boston for Monday's race if it weren't for your generosity, so, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! 

This race is for you girls! Love you both!

1 comment: